Monday, October 10, 2011

Parking problems.


Let me start this out on the right foot, I work for a really great company that tolerates all of my eccentric modes of travel.  They are happy to let me park my bike right in my office.   I realized this morning however, that I may be abusing the policy.

Now don't get me wrong...I park in the tiled entryway during the rainy or winter commuters when the Xtracyle is dripping with road grime and/or slush and ice.  This weekend I started off dropping my road bike in the office for some lunch time rides with a group.  Then I had to work on Sunday (a rare thing) and it went late.  My wife was in working as well, so I took the lazy way out and rode home with her in the truck. 

So this morning I was faced with the dilemma of how to get to work.  Both my normal rides were already at work just waiting to be put into service.  I contemplated driving...  I envisioned 80 with all the construction and Monday morning, late for work traffic.  I thought of taking the surface route with all the other people trying to avoid the morning traffic on 80.  There really wasn't any choice however, so I sprayed the mud (well most of it) off the mountain bike and out the door we went!

Normally, I'm  a pretty boring commuter.  I love the ride and enjoy it, but I am getting to work.  I tend to take one of two relatively direct routes depending on construction, traffic, and my mood.  Today, however, was a different story!  Not that the route varied, but when you're on a mountain bike you just see the trail in front of you a bit differently.  Today the banked walls that line the underpass for Kietzke and 395 were highlined (and yes, I almost ate it doing this)!  Rocks on the side of the trail were bunny hopped, and sections of the trail where footpaths have shortcut corners were traversed at high speed with reckless abandon (probably scared a sleeping homeless guy half to death). 

But now sitting here with a stupid grin on my face....I have to realized I have a problem....a parking problem in my little office!  I guess it stems from a deeper rooted problem of not being able to stop riding to work.  I'm afraid it might just be incurable!

p.s.  I'm debating strapping the mountain bike on the Xtracycle tonight to free up some parking...that outta make for a interesting ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment