Thursday, October 4, 2012

How and Why do you Ride?

I found this over at Reno-Rambler this morning....and I'm sure its on the Rivendell website too.  It's a simple promo on what Grant Peterson (of Rivendell Bicycles) thinks cycling should be....and a promo for his book.  I read the book last week and it's definitely a good read.  I don't agree with all Grant's thoughts on cycling but I do think he's correct on most points. 

For me this means that whatever I'm wearing is good enough for cycling.  No "kit" of clothing made out of spandex, lycra, etc. are required.  No cleated pedals and special shoes necessary.  And helmets (while a good idea in my mind and almost always on my head) are not required as long as you are paying attention.  Fenders and bigger tires on bikes are a good thing.  Bicycles can be raced but normal people don't do it, and don't need racing type bicycles.

In general bicycles are for transportation, fun, and an underutilized by people.  So get yours out of the garage and go for a ride.....you'll probably smile!



1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book. There have been big changes in my outdoor activities this year, and I've become more of an urban cyclist and less of a recreational cyclist. While clipless pedals and the clown clothes certainly have their place in high energy cycling or technical riding, you don't need any of that to get around town. In fact, I think it actually deters people from riding. "I'd like to ride my bike to work, but I don't want to have to wear spandex, a neon yellow vest, a goofy hair-hating helmet, and elven shoes." I like to watch the Dutch bicycle commuter video clips. Just regular people going about their daily business on bikes. It's not a fringe counter-culture.

    ReplyDelete