Wednesday, February 27, 2013

More new bike news!!!

If you've been reading along, you know that I'm in the process of building a bike up for wifey that will meet all of her criteria for everyday riding.  In the long run it's going to be her ride for Cycle Oregon this fall, so it's important it is just right.  Look for more on this later...in the form of pictures.

Here's the current state of the build!
 Now I know what your saying, ....building a bike up for the wife is great, but what about (poor old) me!?  I mean, I am riding a 26 year old Raleigh that has 10's of thousands of miles on it.  I love that sucker, but as wifey has been mentioning, it could just implode on me one of these days.  Probably not the bike to commit to Cycle Oregon with.

So, I've been scouring the bicycle world for the next ride.  Touring oriented, steel, must take larger tires, must have adequate rack mount options, etc.  It's even harder than it seems when you add in that I seriously considered building this one up from scratch as well. 

Well, the decision came down to these guys....

1) Surly Long Haul Trucker (its as close to the industry standard as you get)
2) Kona Sutra
3) Raleigh Sojourn (I have had good luck with Raleigh!)
4) Soma Saga
5) Rodriguez UTB
6) Salsa Fargo

Keep in mind there isn't a bad one in the bunch, they just have slight differences.  They all can be done for under close to $2000 which was my top end budget.  I've probably lost 20 hours of my life researching all the details for each of these.  Frame geometry, tire clearance, blah, blah.

I finally picked the one that can do it all....


 The Salsa Fargo.  At first appearance most people don't know what to make of this bike.  A mountain bike build with drop bar and no suspension!?

But when you really start to think about it....it's the ultimate touring bike.  Burly steel frame (check), Tons of room for tires (super check), low standover height (Check...almost a male mixte), comfortable ride position (check...not to road racer stretched out), a million mount points for racks (check).  And to top it off.....depending on which tires you run it can be on road or off road.  For me that spells out perfect bike.

Now I realize I won't be winning the sprint cup awards with the steel beast, but if the road is a bit rough,fenders are required, and gear needs hauling.....I'll be your best bet.  Besides I don't think wifey will complain if it slows me down a bit in the hills!

I'm picking it up this weekend so stay tuned for ridiculous amounts of pictures.  And to answer your questions, I am supporting a local bike shop with my purchase.....it's just a local bike shop in Castro Valley, CA!  Reno.....if your listening.....you need a Salsa Dealer!



No comments:

Post a Comment