Monday, September 24, 2012

Effective Park Improvement.

I'm not sure if I've written this up before or not.  Either way here goes....My ride is usually along the river path (as anyone who's been here before knows exhaustively well).  The path is really a big asset for the city in my mind, but I'm not so sure about everyone else since it's not heavily used.  What I have come to see is that it's not given much attention by the city or RPD and the level of homeless folks on the path is a pretty constant reminder of this. 

Brodhead Park is a perfect example of this.  It's a nice grassy park right on the river, close to downtown, with a lot of trees and shade during the summer.  A perfect place to bring the family for a river side picnic if it wasn't for a permanent camp of multiple homeless folks.  Don't get me wrong....I know it's attractive for them too and they have a right to use the parks, but they don't improve the atmosphere and when the camps exist in the same place every day for weeks they are not called day users.

I'm sure they don't appreciate pictures, but I a shot off the handlebars to illustrate the point. 


 This little group isn't even one of the regulars and the total count was probably about 15 people in various states of disrepair.  This particular park is right behind RPD headquarters on East 2nd St. and these guys definitely aren't harassed by the police.  However, if RPD cared at all (or the city did) they would have a foot patrol through here just so the officers could get some fresh air and exercise before spending the day in their patrol cars!  It would definitely move some of the less desirable folks along!


In the mean time, (and on the up side) the parks department seems to have found an effective way to clear out the rif-raf by initiating a morning sprinkler session!  I'm all in favor of having these babies run on the hour every hour for 2 minutes!  That ought to give some lush grass and move some of the more permanent residents along!

So kudos to the Parks Department and their new "management" plan.  I'm gonna request a bit more regular watering and see if they go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment