Thursday, January 30, 2014

The first real day of skiing / parking lot camping!

I shouldn't be able to write that title at the end of January....but it's true.  We had one storm system in December, but this one was the first real system since then.  I couldn't help myself....last night at about 9pm I threw my gear in the truck and headed up.  Hoping to crash out in the Rose parking lot and catch first chair.  It was raining in the valley when I left, but there were a few inches of snow in the parking lot.


I wasn't the only one.  At least one other chump was car camping up in the parking lot.  My sleeping arrangements were slightly nicer than his Volvo!  I turned on the heater, played some tunes, and watched the snow fall until about 11pm.  Then I headed to bed.  This all played out well, until they started plowing the parking lot about 3:45am.  Needless to say 3 front end loaders make some serious noise and sleeping wasn't happening.  I managed to get back to sleep around 6am when they wrapped up for another hour or so. 

Upon rousting myself out of bed and brewing up some coffee.  I was delighted to still see the snow falling.  I dutifully lined up early to catch first chair.  It was total worth the rough sleep and waiting in the cold.  Two feet (+/-) of cushy powder.....meaning over the knees in places and spraying you in the face.  Now that's a way to wake up!

The view when I wrapped up around 10:30am.

Anyway by about 10:30 work had to be addressed, so it was back to the office.  Hope your morning started out nearly this good!



1 comment: