Monday, November 14, 2011

If you like to ride....sign this!!

From the League of American Bicyclists:

Please head here to sign.
http://www.bikeleague.org/petition




Tell the Senate that bikes have a right to the road

The draft of the Senate's transportation authorization bill, S. 1813 Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, includes language that would introduce a mandatory sidepath law on roads in our National Parks and other Federal lands. It requires cyclists on Federal lands to use a path or trail, instead of roads, if the speed limit is over 30 MPH and a trail exists within 100 yards, regardless of its condition or utility of the path. The provision sets a terrible precedent. Passing it would send the wrong message to transportation agencies that these policies are acceptable. Laws like this have been taken off the books in states over the past 30 years. This takes us in the wrong direction.
For more information, read Andy Clarke's blog post.
The League is working on many other aspects of the transportation reauthorization bill. This petition relates specifically to the mandatory sidepath law, which we felt deserved special attention. Stay tuned for news and action alerts related to this and other aspects of this critical legislation.
Please join us in telling the Senate that the mandatory sidepath law is a bad idea -

Dear Senators,
We ask you to remove the mandatory sidepath language (Section § 203 (d)) from the transportation authorization bill, S. 1813 Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act. The law unfairly and unreasonably restricts cycling at a time when we should be encouraging bicycling for transportation, health, recreation, air quality and a host of other reasons.
I Bike I Vote
4615
Signatures
Merrill Smith
Helena, AL
“Is it really that difficult to consider alternative transportation methods when roads are upgraded? I also second the earlier comment, "I will not vote for any senator that votes for this bill!"”
Craig Yoas
Grand Haven, MI
“I've experienced first hand the lack of awareness of and concern for cyclists' rights displayed by our National Parks' rangers. This legislation is a huge mistake on many levels and I'm worried about the precedent it would set - a giant step backwards for cyclists!”
Nancy Redpath
Davis, CA
“Road bikes are vehicles and should be on the road.”
David Green
Acton, MA
“I would love to have National Parks closed to private motor vehicles. Many wildlife are killed each year by the automobile. It would be safer if only tour vehicles, park employees and overnight campers were allowed to drive in the park. I have found it nearly impossible to bicycle on roads in Yellowstone because the shoulders are not wide enough and visitors are speeding and not paying attention to the road. Shuttle buses like in Zion Park should be a model for national parks the world over. ”
Daniel Conway
Somerville, MA
“I pay my taxes, and want to cycle on the roads. Kill the bill requiring mandatory side paths.”
John Siegenthaler
Holland Patent, NY
“I manage to share the road with motorized vehicles all over the country. I do not think it is a positive to take my rights to the road away. Bicycles are accepted forms of transportation and limiting our access to roads is unfair and uninformed. I pay taxes on these roads and I am not ready to give up my rights. I also vote in every election. ”
Chris Gallagher
Vacaville, CA
“While I personally prefer side paths, creating mandatory use is not something that I support. This law would feed problems in areas where there are no bike paths. What's next? Passing a law that bikers need to ride on sidewalks as well? While I personally will most likely be on paths, that is my choice. Please don't force it upon those who prefer the road or force it upon me when the paths are in disrepair.”
Rachael Kenney
Golden, Co
“Please remember my tax dollars pay for the roads too. I VOTE ”
Greg FLECK
Proctor, Mn
“The precedent that has been set on the George Washington parkway has already resulted in one motorist using their vehicle to attack a group of cyclist. This should not be allowed to become the norm. Cycling is a form of transportation thus it cannot be allowed to be diverted to discontinuous, poorly designed and maintained paths with limited hours of access. ”
Peter Henry
Alexandria, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment