Thursday, December 22, 2011

I don't want to be a bike Ninja!

Yesterday I put in a few more miles than normal due to an evening meeting.  It was a nice change of pace and gave me the chance to bike some areas I'm not that familiar with in south Reno.  It was also nice because I got the chance to ride with someone on the way home!  One might say doubly nice since that person is my "bike mentor" and one of the reasons I turned to bike commuting. 

Anyway, on the ride home the conversation turned to a topic that we both hold in high regard as regular bicycle commuters....namely, being seen by cars and not becoming a statistic!  So while the rigs that the two of us ride are remarkably similar (mainly because I'm a copy cat) we do use some different lights, reflective treatments, and visual safety systems.  Here's the list between the two of us:

Lighting:

Planet bike 1 watt dyno hub lights.
We both use this light as our primary because you never have to think of batteries and remember to charge.  If the front wheel is spinning, you've got a headlight!

The Niterider Minewt.
This is my extra rechargeable headlight that I employ when in really dark areas or in zones of high traffic when I want to make sure I have more lights for drivers to see me.

The Downlow Glow.
This is the system my friend uses.  The neon under lighting makes for great front, side, and rear visibility and looks cool to boot!  I wish I could get one but they don't seem to be on the market any longer.

Looks something like this in action....very cool!

Planet Bikes Super Flash.  A good way to be seen.

This is the tail light we both use a version of.  The pulsing pattern of blinks is a real attention grabber for the motorist coming up from behind you!
Planet Bike Turbo.  The above with more watts. 
For the record, riding behind the turbo last night was an eye opener.  This stupid thing is so bright I'm still seeing it burned into my retina this morning!


Reflective gear:

Adventure Cycling's reflective rear triangle.

We both use this little gem on the rear of our bikes.  Looks like a traffic sign that drivers are used to and is a big reflective surface.  Most drivers at least slow down for this type of symbol.

Shower Pass Reflective jacket.
This is something the peddling preacher (search earlier posts for this reference) uses.  I don't have a cool reflective jacket yet, but it would be a really good idea.  It's a shame I didn't thing to ask for this for Christmas!

Anyway, that's a quick list of our attempts to be seen by drivers.  What type of gear do you use to be seen?

2 comments:

  1. I primarily use the Minewt and SuperFlash pictured above, and have been pretty happy. I love the Superflash for its brightness, but I don't like the on/off switch. I've turned it on, only to find it off when I get home! I would've noticed if it was seatpost mounted, but it was on the back of my pack... And for the mount, I'd rather see a quick mount that doesn't require tools, since I often switch bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree the superflash has issues. I fell over last winter on a heavy snow day (I was going about 2 mph) and the light separated from it's base. Didn't notice til I was at work, so I had to go buy a new one. Needless to say....I've got an extra mount if you want it!

    ReplyDelete