Monday, October 7, 2013

Sensory Deprivation Booths....the new normal.

If someone told you that you had to step into a stimulus / sensory deprivation booth for 20-60 minutes, twice a day would you do it?  I'm going to say most of us will say NO....fairly emphatically, yet you probably just got done with your morning session...and left your mobile booth in the parking lot!

Yep, it's pretty much what a car is.  I'll give you it has music, but really this noise just adds to the isolation from the surrounding environment.

To prove my point here are things I heard,saw, and smelled this morning on a 20 minute bicycle commute.


Some nice city works set up a slalom course next to the old post office...just to make my ride more interesting....how fun.


Bertha Miranda's was already cooking.  The smells of hot plate mexican breakfast dishes surrounded me as I rode by.


City workers has some type of sewer sucking truck in action a few blocks later.  Notice, I didn't say all the sensory inputs were pleasant!


The smell of freshly bailed hay.


Then there's the noise that all the mobile stimulus deprivation booths make!  It's a shame they can't be as quiet on the outside as they are on the inside!

So, what did you hear and smell on your commute.  It you can't name a couple items, you might want to rethink your morning routine!


No comments:

Post a Comment