Friday, March 21, 2014

Current configurations.....

A bike is always a bit in flux for me.  Fenders added or removed, changing a stem to improve riding position, swapping out touring tires for something more aggressive, and of course modifying racks, bags, and touring gear.  Partially, this is because I have too many several bikes.  Part of it is because I actually like messing with things.

Lately, at least in my mind, I've been gearing up for some off road touring.  I guess the popular term is gravel grinding.....an extended ride 75% or better on back roads and trails with a relatively simple gear list.  The grand plan is a route like this between here and Bend, OR.  I'm working on it from this side and a friend of a friend is working on it from the Bend side.  I'd say right now about 65-70% of the route is mapped.  So with this in mind, I've been tweaking again on the Fargo.  Right now here's how it's looking.

Yes, the flask is definitely part of any bike touring set up I design!


Basically, it's a Salsa Wanderlust rear rack with some REI panniers (which are currently on loan from the Preacher), a Revelate designs frame bag, and the Revelate Sweet Roll handlebar bag.  The panniers and frame bag are pretty self explanatory.  The Sweet Roll bag is kinda unique and cool.  Basically it's a dry bag, open on both ends with roll type closures.  So depending on how much you put in it you can make it larger or smaller.  It's mounts easily and has quick release clips that make it a "snap" to take on and off.  It also has multiple lash points and tubular elastic cord to hold maps or any additional bags you might want to attach to it.


The only thing I'm toying with is the rear rack and panniers.  While a traditional touring setup and capable of holding quite a bit of gear, they may not be ideal for the rougher terrain.  This would be an alternate configuration with an additional Relevate bag called the Viscacha rather than the panniers.


It mounts on the seat/seatpost like this.

Here's a fargo with the bag partially full.

And another fargo with the bag maxed out.

As you can see it holds quite a bit....but not as much as the panniers.  So I guess its all about how mimimalist you can be.  Anyway, that's what I've been messing around with, so I thought I'd share.  Hopefully, you're enjoying the potential that spring brings to your bike configuring efforts.


No comments:

Post a Comment