Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back in the Saddle.



I've been traveling over the last week and it appears that bicycle touring is alive and well.  On my trip between Reno and Ridgway, CO (south of Grand Junction), I saw no less than 20 touring cyclists.  While on one particular stretch of Hwy 50 with no town or services in sight I passed a guy on a mountain bike that must have been loaded with 100 lbs of gear.  It was probably in the low 90's and I had a full cooler (including ice cold beer)....how could I just zip past this poor bedraggled cyclist!  Brakes were applied and as I pulled onto the shoulder I had a brief thought that the guy might think I was some NV redneck looking to give him grief for taking up a piece of the roadway.  Then I remembered I drive a Honda Element with a mountain bike on the back.  Needless to say when he pulled up and I offered him a cold bottle of beer (newly bottled "Icky" if your wondering), he was more than happy to take me up on the offer.  I figured it would ease my karma for the 2000 mile road trip I was beginning.  It also made me wish I had a lot more vacation time for a summer tour of my own.  So let the planning begin, a tour is in the works for next year and I'll be sharing my options as I start to do some homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment