Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Traffic!


Well the temperatures have dropped off a little and traffic has been increasing on the river trail!  A statement about increased traffic ending with an exclamation point???  It is a total flip flop from when your trapped in a car stuck in a line of people who are getting angrier by the minute.  My traffic this morning included about 10 people, a patrol car, 5 cyclists, and 4 dogs. 

This does mean a couple things that mirror street or highway traffic.  I had to slow down, yield right of way, and be a tad patient.  Now if only we could remind people in vehicles to do these things!  From the whooping 2 1/2 minutes this added to my commute, I got to chat with an RPD officer who was cajoling some sleeping people out of one of our riverside parks (very politely I might add), I had several cheerful "Good Mornings" thrown my way while passing pedestrians and cyclists, and I got to pet a few amicable pooches!  All in all, a darn good way to start the day while slowed down by traffic.  I hope your commute was as enjoyable.

2 comments:

  1. I think back to all the pleasant encounters I've had in the last 4 years of bike commuting, and it's priceless! I feel sorry for the people behind the tinted glass and soundproofing.

    And congratulations on becoming Nevada's first official Bicycle Friendly Community! I thought Carson would get it first, but we only qualified for honorable mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the credit for the Bicycle Friendly status goes to the BPAC committee (Reno-rambler, Rich of Great Basin Bicycles, and others I don't even know). I'm sure they drew inspiration from Bike Carson and Muscle Powered! I know those groups finally got me motivated to volunteer some time....thanks for the push in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete