Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bike path closure at Broadhead Park.

If your commuting on the river path, there was an unannounced closure this morning.




This is really getting to be a bit of a pet peeve with me.  This is basically our highway if you commute between Reno and Sparks each morning.  Can you imagine if the I-80 construction was set up this way.  No warning, no detour, no alternate route posted.  I'm gonna guess any construction project operating in this manor on even a minor road used by automobiles would cause serious consternation (to put it mildly). 

Yet, when it's the bike path, a couple cones and please turn around and retrace your steps until you can find an alternate route yourself is just fine.  A double standard if the powers that be really consider a bicycle a valid method of transportation.  (I realize this is a dubious statement at best.)

Anyway, this is your heads up on the closure.  For the record, you are viewing the entire closure....yep, about 10-12 feet.  I used my advance cycling skills to ride through the construction site (sarcasm intended).  You should evaluate your own skills prior to such a crossing!  Based on the markings, I have a notion that they may be excavating across the trail soon.  So, be aware that this may turn into a real detour.  I'll make some calls and see if I can find out what's up.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Perfectly exemplifies the (lame) prevailing attitude that cars are mandatory, and that active transportation is optional.

    ReplyDelete