Monday, August 19, 2013

Weekend routes....and sweet, sweet bicycle justice!

Ok, so I didn't take pictures again.  I guess I just haven't had the love on carrying the camera lately.  There was however, riding this weekend and here's what the routes looked like.

Friday night after work:


Nothing special, just the ride home from work.  Due to some last minute plans this route took us from work to the Brasserie to meet some friends, followed by a detour to 1864 (pub) and then on home to feed the dog.  I realized this is not dramatic news....but hey you're the one looking for where to ride around Reno!  

The next day, a serious decision was made....it's been a long time coming....it was time.....to get new phones.  Yep, wifey and I are moving into the smart phone ages!  I guess this really means I'll have to take pictures in the future.  Anyway, bicycles were once again (shocking I know) the chosen transportation method and here's the route:




Just a note here....it's not always easy to get from the North side of Reno to the South side of Reno without encountering some less than optimal riding conditions, but if you think it through you can usually come up with a route that will work.  This one did the trick nicely!

The only unpleasant instance was around the mile 10 marker (next to Virginia Lake).  What's this you say?  Virginia Lake has a speed limit of 15 mph!?  How could this be an unpleasant area?

Well, let me tell you a story (it has a great ending)!  We were rolling along....just getting to the south end of Virginia Lake when a loud (and close) horn is sounded.  Not a little beep, beep.  An extended BEEEEEEEEEEEP!!  This was in a location where there was no traffic in the oncoming lane, we're in a park setting, we're to the right side of the lane, and we're doing the posted speed limit.  Some jackass in a Mercedes really needed to let us know we needed to get out of his way.

After looking back and see this I did the less than correct thing......I moved to the middle of the lane and skidded to a halt.  Mr. Mercedes didn't like this and wanted no part of the confrontation he asked for, and then decided to use the alternate lane to pass me.  Continuing to be less than calm, I rode him down to get his tag numbers.  This turned out to be my lucky day, because as I caught up to him (with witnesses calling out his tag numbers from the running path)......we passed a RPD officer on patrol.  Wifey and I both flagged her down and encouraged her to follow us and Mr. Mercedes.  The officer obliged and pull Mr. Mercedes over with lights flashing. 

I bet this guy couldn't believe his poor luck!  The office consulted us on the problem (and let us know she bikes to work most days!)....and basically let us know that there isn't a lot that can really be done without a ton of fuss.  Which I totally understand......but she did promise to chew him out and let him know he wasn't in the right.  So, we then got to ride by Mr. Mercedes and proceed on our merry way while he got chewed out!

I realized this is not a great scenario....and the guy might be even more aggressive toward cyclist because of it.....but he might have learned his lesson too.  Either way, it sure was fun to have cop pull the jerk over! 


1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Mr. Mercedes was not too bright if he took the Virginia Lake route when he was in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete