Monday, October 13, 2014

Biking to San Francisco this weekend.

I have a buddy over at Patagonia that I've know for years.  He's into biking as well (shocking I know) and has been bugging me to ride to San Francisco with him for as long as I can remember.  Like many cyclists we talk a good game, but have never ridden to San Francisco.  Thursday morning that will be changing.

So, that leaves me with a problem.  My do everything bike (Salsa Fargo) is currently in cyclocross configuration.  Meaning, big knobby tires, no fenders, no racks, and after the two races last weekend....exceedingly dirty.  So Saturday morning it was time to make the transition.  I didn't take pictures early on so you'll have to believe me when I say I hosed everything down and scrubbed until my bike looked as close to new as possible. 

Here we are cleaned up and beginning the transition into touring mode....meaning I did one simple thing....added a rear rack.

Next up....tire change out.

Old knobby....new slicks.

Small problem with a tire quick change....the stupid things are full of stan's sealant and in a tubeless configuration.  For this trip I'm switching back to tubes.  Long story short...Stan's sealant is fucking messy stuff. 

Updated to touring configuration and as clean as it's been in years!

Rear panniers, frame bag, and handlebar bags added.  

So ~5 hours later (and a couple beers in) the process was finished.  We have the Adventure cycling maps in hand (the last stage of the Western Express Route) and a rough game plan of logistics...how far we'll ride each day, how much climbing it entails, where we'll camp, and how much food to bring.  Now all that remains is getting all the gear together that needs to be in these bags.  No small task, but definitely material for a post tomorrow or Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment