Thursday, November 15, 2012

A fuzzy tour of 2nd St.

I left a little early this morning and changed up my route.  Today I chose to ride all the way down second street (from Keystone Ave. to Rock Blvd.).  Not exactly a bike friendly route, as there isn't a single section of bike lane on the whole thing.  It does however take you right through downtown Reno and is all 30 mph speed limits or less.

For some reason my camera is not focusing well....so enjoy the fuzzy picture show!


Headed East on Second St. through downtown.  If it wasn't so fuzzy you could see all the traffic signals ahead.  They turned out be the theme of the ride.


Looks like you can finally purchase some of those vacant condos they developed!  If you want the urban lifestyle please sign up.  They would be great for the car free lifestyle!


More lights....


The allures of downtown....gambling and women?  Reno still needs to rethink it's identity in my mind.


The baseball stadium....which as of this morning is no longer getting 30 million in tax payer dollars to subsidize the billionaire are owner!   Good first vote new city council members!  This one basket is not where we should put all our eggs for redevelopment in my opinion.


A glimpse of the path I could be on....notice it does not have traffic signals.


More traffic signals on 2nd St.  They always seem to be red.


Another passing of the river path.  It should be noted, at this point it has taken me 8 minutes longer to get here than it takes me to get all the way to work on the path.  The route via 2nd Street is technically 1/2 mile shorter but in the end took me 12 minutes longer to ride due to all the stop lights.

I didn't take any pictures once I turned onto Rock Blvd.  This is not a road for the faint of heart when on a bicycle and no place to be fumbling with a camera.  No room for cars to pass,  no shoulders, two lanes in either direction.  A whole lot of people in a hurry to get somewhere they don't want to be....and they aren't in the mood to tolerate anyone. 

Anyway, it was a different ride and it did make for something to write about.  I don't think I'll ever take this as a regular route, but the section through downtown is at least interesting and shows that all of downtown is at your disposal on a bicycle!


No comments:

Post a Comment