Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Xtracycle blues....and good news.

I have officially done it.  I have ridden so much in 4.5 years that it broke....


This is the main "beam" of the xtracycle frame right behind where the wheel mount is located.  Completely snapped.  I almost couldn't believe it.  I picked up a load of groceries last week and I'd heard a new squeaking, but figured it was just the way the load was riding.  Then I pulled it out Monday and I didn't notice it.  Tuesday morning when I pulled the bike out of the house I heard it again, so I removed the bags only to discover this!  And to top it off it's cracked on the other beam as well!


It's kind of hard to see in this crappy cell phone photo, but it's there.   So of course I still rode it in to work because I was running late, but that's it for this xtracycle.

The really cool thing is that one call to Xtracycle and they said no problem, send it in and we'll ship out the new one!  Full warranty without even asking for it!  I'd have been happy if they welded it back together and called it a day.

So other than being without it for a couple weeks, it's all working out just fine.  The part that has me worried is I've heard/seen this failure before.  My buddy, the Preacher (search previous posts if you need reference here), experienced the same thing with his xtracycle a few years back if memory serves.  I think it might even have been in the same place.  So perhaps the xtracycle does have a weakness (other than it weighs a ton)!  I guess only time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment