Friday, January 11, 2013

Back to the bike (and studded tire pros / cons).

After playing hooky from riding yesterday, I was greeted with an encouraging sunrise this morning.  It pretty much said, come outside and enjoy me on the way to work!


The truth is it really does make the ride that much better.  Now about that ride...  I'm sure you saw the post where I belatedly threw on the studded tires.  Well the studded tires are great, especially with the freeze and thaw cycles we've been having that literally turn portions of the river path into a skating rinks.


On a bike with normal tires all I have to say is good luck!  Glare ice at angles with a lot of bumps to make sure you slide out and die.  Now I'm not saying that the pucker factor doesn't increase when I hit these, but to date (knock on wood) the studs make riding on this stuff non-event!

So those are the merits of studded tires.  The other merit (if you call it that) is that I'm gonna have quads the size of Velodrome rider by the end of winter.  Meaning studded tires add some serious rolling resistance!  So if you didn't make good on that new years resolution to start working out, just get a set of studded tires!  They will up the calories burned on your daily commute by about 15% (at least that's how much they slow me down)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment