Tuesday, January 15, 2013

How to avoid the backside blues.

A long time ago (well last year at least) my buddy the Preacher and I were shockingly, talking about bicycles...while drinking beer.  The topic of bicycle seats came up.  Specifically, how one saddle verses another can affect one's posterior comfort.  The Preacher announced that he had found a rather devine solution to this problem that didn't require communing with the almighty....he simply found the saddle that worked for him and then put it on all this bikes (I think this is like 6 bikes and counting).  You can see here that he does indeed look comfortable....despite (or perhaps because of) the leisure suit.


Now I actually think he's probably on to something with this idea.  I mean, it does make sense that if you have the same saddle on each bike, the only difference should be relative body position caused by the bike geometry itself.  The rear end should meet up with the saddle in more or less the same way (assuming you don't ride a time trial bike and then switch over to a beach cruiser). 

My problem with the Preacher's solution is that a few years ago I switched over to a fancy Brooks saddle (and have loved it).  The problem is they are not $30 saddles and outfitting even my 3 bicycles with the same saddle amounted to a sizable investment. 

Well, I'm here to say Christmas reduced that problem by one more Brooks saddle! 


So now the saddle is headed for the mountain bike for a break in period.  I'll have to take the mountain biking a little easy (don't want to scuff the new saddle).  Eventually, I'm planning to put it on a new pimped out project bike, but at my current rate of bike rebuilds this will be some time off! 

So let the testing begin....my old mountain bike seat definitely caused some discomfort on longer rides.  Now if matched seats are truly the "gospel", I should be singing praises on my next mountain bike pilgrimage! (Sorry, I know the play on the good words is terrible....I just couldn't help myself!)

No comments:

Post a Comment