Monday, January 7, 2013

Studded tires are on....better late than never.

Ok, so I said I'd start with the posts here in the new year.  I'm a little behind but here we go.  First up, getting the studded tires on.  I realize that not everyone is going to go for this.  There are many reasons not to ride when the conditions are extreme enough to merit studded tires on a bike.  However, I have to tell you.  It gives you access to some of the most fun riding out there.  Just cruising along in a snowstorm with no worries is it's own reward!

Anyway on to the tires.  It's going to be disappointingly simple I'm afraid.....

Step 1.  Remove original tire from rim.


If you haven't cleaned the bike or rims lately....this will be ridiculously dirty job.  Just for reference the tire you're looking at has gum walls (not black rubber) around the edge.  Notice you can't even tell!  That is a year plus of brake dust, dirt, etc.  Apparently I need to improve general cleaning with the bike.


The end results after a little ton of cleaning. 

Step 2.  Grab the studded tires.  If you happen to be looking to purchase a pair, I don't think you can find them at any local shop.  I ended up getting these a couple years ago from Velo-Orange.com.




Step 3.  Install liners and tubes and mount back on rim!


Step 4. Admire your work!


 Step 5.  Repeat the process for the other rim.


Step 6.  Reinstall on the bike and go take a test ride.


 Here they are on the newly reconstructed Xtracycle.  Don't worry, I'll have a write up on the Xtracycle rebuild this week!


And just in case you think winters over and I've wasted my time with studded tires.  Here's the river path this morning.  There was probably about a mile of this type of ice and hard pack snow.  Just perfect for studded tires, thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment