Thursday, November 21, 2013

A Big Bike Trip....???

**Warning**
 This is likely to be long winded, rambling, slightly on and off topic....actually, it's probably a lot like talking to me.  Anyway, you've been warned. 

I have this idea in my head....a big (big for me) bike trip.  The thing is I don't seem to make it happen.  I kinda know why.  I like things to be just right.  You know, good route, nice campsites, enjoyable trip.  Problem is that to get that type of trip, you need to plan and I don't seem to take the time to commit to this.  Or perhaps I don't feel like I can get enough information to make it happen just so.  Anyway, I hunt around for this type of thing occasionally and today I found a Tour Divide clip that got me thinking about this type of trip again.



Jay Petervary Tour Divide Record Ride from Fisher Creative on Vimeo.

Don't get me wrong...while the Tour Divide is awesome, this isn't the type of trip I'm envisioning.  But seeing guys like this sure makes my little idea seem insignificant and that probably I should just give it a try.  I did come across something that sounded a bit more my speed.

http://velodirt.com/the-oregon-outback-a-360-mile-dirt-odyssey-across-oregon/

A ride like this might be the right way to get myself kicked into gear.  First off, it has a date and time and a route that someone actually planned and then test rode.  So in fact, they did what I envision as a great planned route (and it's done for me).  Now they're making it public and saying hey....come do this with like minded people.  To top it all off it's free.  It's also unsupported....they just give you the route and let you know when a group is going to start it.  Then you're on your own.  So there is still planning and some feeling of having done it yourself.

The route looks like this:


Basically, Klamath Falls to Deschutes.  Mostly gravel (75%) and rural or middle of nowhere.  Kind of how I envision a tour since I do own the bike for it (Salsa's Fargo).  Anyway, that's what I've been mulling on lately.  Hopefully a firm date and a planned route will make it happen next year. 





No comments:

Post a Comment