Friday, November 1, 2013

Where did everybody go!?

Ok kids, I know there hasn't been much real content here lately.  I did the vacation thing and then work slammed me for the last couple weeks....but hopefully all will be returning to normal.  That's not what the title is meant to imply however.  Its asking why the bike lanes went from "full" in the fall to empty in the early winter!?

The bike lanes are lonely these days!
 Now I know calling the bike lanes in Reno "full", is like saying Detroit has congestion in the inner city....but you guys were out there riding more than ever this year.  Now the morning commute is just me and a couple others.  So, what's the deal!?  I know the temperatures dropped but that can be solved with just a few layers, so here's what you do....

See I had to take a picture of myself in a mirror....couldn't even find a guy riding to capture me in the real world!

Yep, you dress like this.  You probably don't even have to go to the store to buy any "accessories" to do it.  Here's the official list of "winter" riding gear in the photo.

1) Regular jeans....yep, that's it.  Maybe include a pant cuff clip.
2) A jacket (shell type) with or without insulation.  You probably think you want insulation.  After 5 minutes of riding you won't!
3) Under the jacket....From base layer out....I've got a cotton t-shirt (yep, just cotton), a patagonia base layer (eg. synthetic long sleeve t-shirt), windstopper fleece vest (very light weight).
4) Under the helmet....I've got a thin beany type hat....basically anything you can get under the helmet.
5) Gloves.  I use the Pearl Izumi light weight windproof glove.  Very thin....and yes, my hands do get cold a bit.  In real cold temps I put on fleece wind stopper gloves over these.

So that's it.  If you live in Nevada....you probably are wearing this stuff to drive to work.  So just walk out the door and ride.  It's a bit cool for the first 5 minutes (lets you know you're alive) and then you'll be unzipping, trust me!

So, come on people, give a late fall commute a try!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you Andy! I'm still riding every day in Bend, but I think I'll be buying some better boots for cold weather riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now if only we can keep Kirk riding every day!! I suggested he take his morning "commute" on the single speed through some trails. He could even do his "commute" at noon when it's warmed up a bit!

    ReplyDelete