Thursday, April 9, 2015

Reno Bicycling Community has Lost a Friend.

Last night I was checking email before heading to bed.  A post from the Reno Cyclocross Contingent caught my eye.  I couldn't believe what followed...

Erica Greif was killed in a car accident Tuesday.

Erica at Clayton Middle School Cyclocross Race.

According to what I've read, she was heading out after taking an final at UNR and driving through the night to race in the Redlands Classic.  At some point on the drive down, there was a head on collision with another vehicle.

I knew Erica through the Sagebrush Cyclocross series (she was the race director) for the last few years.  She was a pint sized powerhouse, both organizing the race series and riding in it.  Since the men's B's race with the Women's A class, it was often my goal to get on to Erica's wheel and try to get around her at some point.  In the last two years, I only beat her once!  What can I say....that girl could ride!!

While I didn't know her well, I did spend a little bit of time with her, Nick, Noah and the rest of the Reno cyclocross contingent prepping courses, setting up, and taking down.  Even after some really long days she was always smiling and ready to have a beer.

There will be a memorial ride tonight (Thursday) at 8 pm leaving from Bibo's Coffee on Sierra St. to honor her memory.

Ride on Erica....you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment