Thursday, July 12, 2012

Post 300....not a bicycle in sight for me today!

So I guess this should be a fancy post with a lot of retrospection on the shape this blog has taken.  Ha, it's definitely not going to be that.  It's my blog and I'll do what I want.  So.....Kayaking!

Instead of riding, I had to test out my new to me truck camper.  I decided the best way to do this was to drive it to work and then use it as a changing room for a lunch time kayak run.  Not perhaps a glamorous use of the new rig but fun none the less.


The Rock park whitewater section is just across the road from my office so I parked there and walked up the river path a bit before putting in.


It was lunch time and the park was in full recreation mode when I got there.  With low volume flows this was more of a float trip for me with a few upstream paddle laps to get a workout.  The kids however love the low flow and rafts and good times were all around.


 Unfortunately, the number of people using the park has lead to large amounts of garbage on the river bottom.  You can just make out several cans in the pic above.  What ever happened to personal responsibility and cleaning up after yourself?


 On the up side, all the people has lead to some creative designs in personal bathing pools.  This one made a nice 3 ft deep pool for lounging!


I paddled about a mile and half down river from the park until I decided I didn't want to have to carry the boat too far back up the trail.  All in all, it's not a bike but it sure made for a fun lunch break.  So whatever form your alternative transportation takes, I hope you got out and enjoyed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment