Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tuesday Night Mountain Bike Ride.

For the last couple months a group of my friends has been making the effort to get out and do some mountain biking.  For the most part the group is regular riders who used to mountain bike quite a bit....so it's not a "new" thing.  The problem is that life starts to get in the way and then suddenly you're riding less and less.

Making it a designated weekly group ride with several people means you're getting texts and phone calls that make it that much harder not to attend the ride.  In some cases your manliness may be questioned if you fail to attend....

I don't know why I've failed to bring a camera on these rides.  Especially since their have been some great falls!  Anyway last night we did a section of trail that I'd call lower Galena Creek to upper Galena Creek and I finally managed to take a few pics.

There were no "real" falls to record but it did start out in typical fashion.  Meaning we didn't park in exactly the right place and as soon as one of the guys pulled his bike out of the truck and let it touch the ground we found our first goats head.  So a 1/4 mile down the road at the trail head it was time to fix a flat!


Yeah, um....that's a goats head all right.  And now my tires flat.


I'm sure I can get the tire off the rim without a tire iron....I'm a big strong guy....do you guys have a tire iron?


And it only takes about a thousand strokes with a mini pump to inflate a 2.3 29er tire!

Finally, we managed to get on the trail.  It was nice single track with some technical sections (most of which were ridden by the group.  This "bridge" stopped everyone short however.  Not only is is a step up to the log, but there's an pretty much unridable slope at the end.  I don't know if anyone rides this but if they do my hats off to you!


My instincts told me not to try to ride this as I approached.....


 Looking back (hind sight is 20 20 they say)....instincts were correct and I probably would be laying in the creek with a broken something!


After some additional riding we still managed a few wrong turns....the proof that we were riding is Jesse's backpack silhouette.  And for the record, his camel back wasn't leaking! 


For anyone who thinks all Reno/Tahoe trails are rocky you haven't had the pleasure of riding around the Galena area trails lately!  So grab a bike and take the drive....it's a worthwhile trip and the riding was excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment