Thursday, April 21, 2016

New Virginia Street Bridge....with bike lanes to nowhere?


Well...I've been out of town for a while so I haven't had the privilege of the daily bike commute.  So yesterday was my first chance to ride across the newly opened Virginia Street bridge.  All in all a nice modern structure...that includes bike lanes that extend on to the abutments...and then disappear. 

So while I'm glad they were put in (rather than the previous parking spots), I'm curious about this decision.  Really recently (in Midtown) removing this number of parking spots was a hugely contentious issue and the council chose to keep parking rather than design a true complete street with bike lanes that would have been a continuous interconnected part of the infrastructure.  So why put bike lanes here where parking is even more limited and the bike lanes don't do anything for providing benefits to infrastructure? 

Any which way....it's another few hundred feet of bike lane...so I'll take it.  My only follow up question is how long it will take for someone to ride a bike over those suspension beams!

1 comment:

  1. Not sure these count as bike lanes, just wide shoulders. If there's no painted "man riding bike" symbol and no posted signs demarcating the lanes, then it technically isn't a bike lane.

    ReplyDelete