Thursday, September 29, 2011

BPAC Meeting.


I have been meaning to start attending Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee (BPAC) meetings for more than 6 months, and I finally made it to my first one last night.  I know, I know...what took so long?  Well, life in general, laziness, my fantastically busy social schedule, additional stupid excuses to infinity.   Anyhow, since I am now part of the Regional Transportation Group I figured I better really start attending.  Somewhere in my head I have the idea that it will be good to know the intricacies of BPAC to help with the Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) and be sure to give it as much bicycle input as it can handle.  I'm probably living in my own little world on how this is all related, but either way I made the decision to get involved this year, so here it is.

The meeting was actually really good.  It was well organized, informative, and moderated so that the group didn't get too far off topic.  I won't go into mind numbing detail but among the things discussed were:

Discussion on our new Bronze Bicycle Friendly status
-and where to hang the fancy signs for a ribbon cutting
Updates for the Regional bike map
A presentation on a new study corridor (Mill St. and Terminal Way) for complete streets
-on the totally ridiculous side...they're currently doing bike counts so I made sure to ride it this morning!
Review of a list of projects (and other study corridors) for all of 2011 and 2012
-and there are way more than you think (I'll find a link shortly)!!
Discussion on the Plumas bike lane (now delayed by Reno City Council) due to on street parking concerns
Discussion of not becoming to bike-centric and remembering to work on Pedestrian projects
Discussion on Slurry sealing and how they deal with bike lanes.
-it's actually a separate "grade" of seal so it's smoother
-and the gentleman (sorry missed his name) who runs the program seems on the ball!

All in all, it seems like a really good group of folks who are on topic and continuing the push to make Reno and Sparks even more bicycle friendly!

No comments:

Post a Comment