Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bike blog boredom....change of commute!

Lately it seems I'm just not inspired to write much about the commute, even taking pictures seems forced.  I guess that I've seen all the "normal" interesting things along the commute route just one to many times.  I've been here before and it helps to change up the commute during these funked out times.

I was late leaving the house today so a drastic exploratory ride wasn't in the cards.  So, rather than my normal variation of the river path, which is 4th Street, I decided to return to the old alternate commute (Mill St.).

For the record...I do drive to work sometimes and I hate the lines and they make me rage.  It's one reason I ride, less stress!


 Man o' Man, did I forget was riding in dual lane traffic was like in just a few short months!  There are a few sections that don't have bike lanes on Mill (or wide parking areas that go unused) and I pretty much take the lane on these sections.  Even with being centered up in a lane I had a guy try to use the 1/2 side of the lane to pass me with another car in the left lane.  What are people thinking!?

I watched traffic interactions between cars a bit after that and I don't think it's that they just don't see bikes.....they behave in the same manner with respect to other cars!  Perhaps I shouldn't used the work "respect" in the previous sentence....it's not really appropriate!  They just try to shove their way ahead like the other drivers aren't in just as much of a hurry. 

I was musing about why their so aggressive and in a hurry....since most of them probably are going to work and don't really want to be there.  And then it hit me, just driving or idling (as is the case most of the time) they are burning precious gas and just look at how much it must cost them!

Also for the record, since I do drive a car, these prices SUCK!  Another good reason to ride.


It must really grind them when I pass them when their backed up at lights (sometimes 30+ cars), rolling to the light at the front of the underutilized bike lane!  It's actually pretty fun...from the Hospital to the Airport I passed 37 cars this morning (over approximately 1.5 miles) and in the following 1 mile stretch before the next light (where the speed limit is 50 mph) only 27 passed me back!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!! I know it's petty to keep track, but it shows that even in non-city traffic areas you can stay ahead of automobile traffic if you catch the lights right!  Anyway, it definitely gave me some new material write about so I guess I better explore some additional alternate commutes.  Until then, enjoy the ride!

1 comment:

  1. There are so many good reasons to ride to work! Unfortunately its only when the cold comes that you become less enthused by it all!

    ReplyDelete