Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Moab time and ill timed snow storms!

Like many of you, I had officially given up on the ski season.  I mean we had great early season snow, but after two months of drought, I'd had my fill of groomer days.  So, I shifted into an early bike season.  I even went so far as to plan an early trip to Moab (mostly due to a work schedule issue in the next few months)......and here comes the biggest storm of the fricken season!!

Not only will be we missing the fresh pow pow, we'll probably get to experience the storm all over again while we ride the "skinny tire festival".  Four days of road riding in Moab through the red rocks!  Let's just hope it doesn't snow on us during the rides.

In theory it should look like this:






Now of course I should bring my road bike with 23mm tires to this......wifey will be riding her road bike.  Especially, since the spokes to build the wheels on her new "touring" bike only arrived yesterday, so it currently lacks wheels.

Instead, I'm 90% sure I'll be riding this:





Yeah, not 23 mm....rather 2.2 inch!!  And I have to apologize for the "stock" photo.  Lest you think I have not been snapping pictures of my new bike....I have!  I just forgot to bring the camera in to download them.

It really isn't a bad idea (and here's my justification).....

1)  It should slow me down a bit from my road bike and make wifey and I a bit more even for riding pace.  Although it rolls pretty good from the 30+ miles of pavement I've had it on.

2)  I've installed a brand new brooks saddle on it....so if wifey gets a bit saddle sore, the brand new saddle should put me in a similar position.  So any sympathy I express won't be blown off as mockery, but genuine!  (p.s.  This may prove a rather stupid move!)

3)  It has low gearing that matches wifey for the climbs (and there are climbs)!



4) It will make it even more fun to pass people on $5000 carbon road bikes.

5)  It's my new bike!

The only con argument I put against this is that I'm really bummed that wifey's touring bike isn't finished and I'll feel like a heel since she won't have her new ride.  This trip wasn't in the plans when we started her build, but I still feel bad.  I guess that's the down side of a completely custom ride vs. one off the shelf.

Anyway, we'll have pictures when we return.  Until then don't expect too much for new content.  I'm still not a mobile blogger!


No comments:

Post a Comment