Friday, October 5, 2012

Seriously!?....Who removes bike lanes?

  

So it's Friday, and Wifey and I decided to go out to lunch today.  Nothing fancy....in fact we tried to stay as "local" as we could over here on the east side of the airport.  The problem is that it's an industrial wasteland in terms of fine dining.  So our choices were Joe Bobs (and I do like their wings) or Wongs Genghis Khan (an unknown).  The reviews on yelp weren't bad, so off we went.  The food is buffet style Mongolian and sushi.....all you can eat.  I'd rank it as average and a few dishes were probably even in the good range.  If they cleaned the place up a bit it would probably get higher reviews.  However, I bet this doesn't happen because the lunch crowd was huge despite my mediocre review.

Afterwards we decided a little bike ride was in order to burn off a few of the grease laden calories.  So we took a tour of the industrial streets on the way back to work.  I've ridden here before just for lunch time entertainment.  There are bike lanes although people like to park in them.  About a year ago I took this picture.


No big deal, the roads aren't busy and you just ride around them.  The question I had, is why they park here.  Every building has tons of parking!  Parking here just means you walk father and you know Americans aren't renowned for walking on purpose!

So today let's see an update of the same location.....


WTF!!!  Who spent money to grind off the bike lane markers!!!???  I know nobody was handing out tickets to the clowns who were parking in the bike lanes anyway.  So who or why spend $$$ to wipe out designated bike lanes?  Is this tax dollars?  City of Reno? RTC?  Local business who wants street parking?

I don't know but I'm sure going to try to find out.  This is not cool people, Reno is just starting to get on the band wagon for building bicycle infrastructure.  Two steps forward, one step back is not a game we need to start playing!

1 comment:

  1. Weird. I think I remember riding that street just after they had sealed it and the bike lane marker was covered up. I hope they just ground it flat to clean it before laying down a new marker.

    ReplyDelete