Monday, July 1, 2013

Time to trim the trees.

It's been coming for a while.  Winter is long gone (if the 100 degree temperatures hadn't let you know) and the vegetation is about as green as it gets in Reno.  This also means the trees that (very fortunately) line the river path and a lot of our bike lanes have been growing and growing.  As a result it also means we've been ducking lower and lower to avoid the trees that encroach into our lanes, or dodging into traffic depending on your riding style!


Here's an example I actually remembered to take a picture of (Rock Blvd and Mill Street).  Not a great place to lose one's head and / or veer into traffic!


Here is my head as an example of what we are all trying to protect from low hanging tree limbs.  I'm not normally a fan of self portraits on this blog....but I was running short of content this morning so here it is.

My plan is to bring the pruning shears one of these days and do some trimming on the trees on my route.  I'm sure I'm about the only nut who goes to this extent but hey, it's my commute and it's worth making it as enjoyable as possible! 

p.s.  Not shockingly, the darn trees repeat this cycle on a yearly basis.  Here's some clearing from 2 years ago on the same route (before Rock Blvd. had bike lanes!).

No comments:

Post a Comment