Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The rack...medieval torture device or a place to put your bike.

I guess it's all a mater of perspective.  Sometimes, based on the number of racks at particular location or the haphazard way people use the bike racks, it is an act of torture to find or use the racks provided. I'm certainly not a bike rack connoisseur....I'm happy to lock up to anything secure, made out of metal, and in a fairly high visibility location.  

Warning....mini rant.....
However, a trip out to Patagonia this weekend  got me thinking.  Specifically, the problem at Patagonia is there are two bike racks with two parking locations per rack (four bikes total if you're counting).  They are very close together and located in some overgrown plantings so access is a bit tight.  It gets even tighter when someone parks a single bike across both racks (people can suck at parking bikes, just like they suck at parking cars folks!).  All in all, we were able to shuffle around and get securely locked up....but it was a pain.  This location especially annoys me because it's fricking Patagonia.  Environmental friendly company right???  I did not notice anyone parking a car having such problems parking (and the lot was full).  Seems messed up.  Patagonia officially gets a fail from me on the rack situation.

Ok, back to racks in general.  First, I've decided I'm going to start documenting locations and conditions.  It's going to take a while and will be boring if you don't care.  I'm thinking just a picture and a few thoughts about location, ease of use, number of spaces, and security.  Here are few pictures before you fall asleep reading this.

City of Reno rack on Virginia St. and the River Path.  Location is sort of odd.  Ease of use is good. Probably holds 4 bikes easily.  Good construction and bolted down for security. Moderate points on the art rack.

Location is great...right out front in clear view.  Ease of use is good .  Probably holds 5 bikes easily and more of you lock up around the edges.  Good construction and bolted down for security. 

Location is sort of odd (just down the river from above (Sierra St.)).  Ease of use is good.  Probably holds 6 bikes easily if you back in.  Good construction and bolted down for security.  Extra points for being an art rack!

Harrah's automobile museum.  Location is mixed.  It's on the river path but in the back of the building.  Kind of a sketchy area and low visibility.  Ease of use is good. Probably holds 6 bikes easily.  Good construction but not bolted down for security.  Ironically, chained to a wooden bench?

Ok, that's a start.  I think I'll just keep adding as I see them.

There are a few places I really like that need bike racks too.  Great Basin, Silver Peak on the River, and Sierra Tap House to start!  I guess I'll need  a separate list for places that need racks added.  It sure is a good thing I can think up endless bikey ways to waste my time! 

Until then....lock um or lose um. 

No comments:

Post a Comment