Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How safe are your neighborhood steets?

The Guardian (UK) just posted a map that sends a chill down my spine.  It shows the 369,629 people who died on America's roads between 2001 and 2009. I think about things like this every time I opt to take Mill St. to work rather than the river path.  I know it only takes one driver on a cell phone or hunting for a radio station to drift into the bike lane and add me to this map.  I guess it's why we have a new law that tries to protect "vulnerable road users".  


It does raise the question of why I ride Mill St. occasionally.  It might be silly...but I think the drivers improve around cyclists when they see them more regularly.  I also believe it helps them appreciate some of the local road diets if they see an uptick in cyclists using the lanes.  I'm not sure if I could prove either case based on my lone self riding through the winter, but I can hope.  On a lighter note....happy thanksgiving!




No comments:

Post a Comment