Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Roadside Memorials.



I just noticed yesterday that the roadside memorial at 4th and Washington has been spruced up.  In fact, if you didn't know better you'd think someone was decorating for the holidays.  I won't forget this one anytime soon since I happened past the scene of the accident about 2 minutes after it happened.  In this case it was motorcycle vs. taxi.  Any other analysis aside.....the guy on the motorcycle lost.

I know some people think this type of memorial is tragic, sad, disturbing, or even an eyesore.  To me it's a reminder that a real person died here.  It was probably preventable if either (or both) parties had just taken a bit more time to make sure the intersection was clear.

I don't have a great transition here.....I guess I could talk about a number of cyclist I follow on this route each morning who blow through stop signs and the danger they put themselves in.  It could be a segway into how the driver they tick off might take it out on some innocent cyclist later on who does stop for stop signs, and how messed up this is.

What it really reminds me of, with the holiday season upon us, is that perhaps we should give the gifts of courtesy, patients, and kindness on our daily commutes.  Doesn't matter if your in a car, on a bike, or walking.  It sure would make one part of everyone's day a little better!

No comments:

Post a Comment