Wednesday, October 26, 2011

If you dare!

Smiling all the way.

Normally a cold snap like set in last night means a few things.  Pick every last tomato out of the garden, get the Halloween decorations out, and watch the number of cyclist on the road drop.  So this morning when wifey requested I join her on the ride into school I wasn't quite ready.  Not that she requires me for the ride...but the hooks when we store bicycles are designed with a 6 ft person in mind. So while she can get her bike down, a chivalrous husband does lend a hand!  The surprise was that wifey was not going to be phased by the cold.  While she's plenty adventurous, cold weather is not her strong suit and I figured this dip in temperatures might result in the bicycle staying on the hooks for a few days.

As you can see, not only was I wrong, but very wrong.  Note that she isn't even wearing tights under that skirt (temperature when we departed our house was 31 degrees).  She assures me that boots go a long ways towards a warmer ride when sporting a skirt....I think I'd have gone with tights!  For reference, I was wearing thick mountain khakis (think carharts), three layers on top (including wind stopper vest) and a wool hat.  So while I may ride in the colder temperatures regularly, I appear quite the sissy when riding with wifey!

So Reno (and Carson) cyclists, the bar has been raised.  Did you ride and will you continue to ride as the temperatures slide!?  If you aren't and you're using the weather as your excuse, just remember the ladies out there are putting you to shame (both for temperature tolerance and fashion sense)!

Oh, and if any ladies who ride are reading, check out this blog for practical cool weather riding fashion (and just girls on bikes).

1 comment:

  1. Finally got to try out my new lobster gloves this morning! Bought them back in May on sale. Winter seemed so far away at the time, but now I'm glad I have them.

    Haven't driven to work in 4 years now, and my mindset is definitely different than the early days. It's never a choice between the bike or car, only a choice between which bike, jacket, etc. No bad weather, only bad clothes!

    ReplyDelete