Thursday, October 27, 2011

Soon, my pretty!


First things first, I'm not suggesting anyone do this type of thing.  It's dangerous (well mildly), illegal, and inflammatory to say the least.  And in all reality I'm pretty much a blow hard about stuff like this.  It sounds good in my head and I talk about it, but in reality it usually never happens.

So all warnings aside here's what is on my mind.  Every morning I ride over I-80 usually on the Washington St. bridge.  Below are two photos (looking East and West respectively).  First notice that traffic is actually moving along pretty well (so kudos to Granite construction and their design team)....but I'm not looking at the lanes with cars in them.  I'm looking at that virgin ribbon of brand new interstate.  I know it's not for me....  I know it's not for bicycles....  I know somehow, in some fashion, for some limited length....

It must be ridden by a bicycle!!



Updates to follow, if I get motivated, and brave, and am awake at some ungodly hour.

In the mean time, here's something even more illegal, dangerous, and foolish!  I give you a really old video from Crimanimalz.  If your short on time forward along to about 1:30.


Crimanimalz - The Freeway Ride II from RichToTheIE on Vimeo.

*** Seriously, do not do this.  It's illegal and you could die!!!***

Just to be totally clear.  These guys did this as a protest / demonstration about highway congestion in LA.  They studied the area for places where traffic was at total standstills during rush hour and then targeted short sections to ride (like 1/2 mile segments).  It was not just people deciding to ride on the highway.  Again, do not do this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment